Saturday, November 6, 2010

Baby it's Cold Outside

Shortly after I moved to Texas, someone hit my car while it was parked in front of my sister's house, shoving it ten feet down the road and totaling it. The resulting insurance payment was only enough to purchase a scooter off Craigslist. I've been relying on this mode of transportation ever since, which is usually pretty awesome. Except when it's raining or cold, which can be rather uncomfortable.

After I got home from work yesterday, shivering, I decided it was time to start making soup. This batch of lentil/split pea soup is the first of many pots of soup I will make with every intention of eating in their entirety, only to leave a bowl's worth at the bottom of the pot in the fridge until I need the pot for new soup, and have to figure out how to throw away spoiled soup with no garbage disposal. What a gripping life I lead.




Lentil soup in general, no matter what type, is best served with fresh lemon juice squeezed over the top, mixed in as you eat. Mmm.

Oh, and I also made my Great Grandma Read's banana walnut bread today:




1 comment:

  1. OK--I'm sufficiently inspired to pull that same recipe out and make us some b-bread, too! Already made my first soup of the season too--"Happy surprise" chicken soup--with apples and curry in it. Next week--a corn chowder. Lentils will have to wait.

    ReplyDelete